History of the building

 

Tallinn Creative Hub is located in the former building of Tallinn City Central Power Station, which began operating in 1913 and closed in 1979. It can be said that only with the founding of the power station did the use of electric power become common and electricity an everyday perk.

The limestone building which now houses Tallinn Creative Hub used to be the power station’s boiler room, which was completed in 1934. The giant boilers (no. 6 and no. 7) located in the hall were built in 1948 and 1949. They were designed and made in Estonia and adapted for the use of local oil shale. The two boilers are the only ones remaining of the original ten boilers.

The brick chimney found on grounds of the Creative Hub was erected in 1948 and was the tallest in the Baltic States at the time, rising to a height of 102.5 metres. Its construction required 800,000 chimney bricks and 100,000 regular bricks.

2 February 1979 was the last time the power station produced electricity. It had become a company producing and distributing heat. In 1982 it was renamed Tallinn Thermal Network. The boilers continued to operate until the early 1990s.

Of the buildings forming part of the Creative Hub complex, the boiler room, gas reservoir, trestle and brick chimney were placed under heritage protection in 2007.

 

THE STORY BEHIND ‘STALKER’

The former power station’s first serious encounter with art occurred in 1977 when Andrei Tarkovsky used the complex as a set for his cult film ‘Stalker’.

The scene of Stalker entering the zone was filmed at the gate of the Creative Hub.

While shooting the film, the letters U and N (short for United Nations) were painted on the power station’s chimney and remain visible to this day.

‘Stalker’ was filmed in several locations around Estonia, including the Rotermann quarter and Jägala waterfall.

In 1980 ‘Stalker’ was awarded the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury at the Cannes Film Festival.